But I DID get the cool weather seeds planted – two kinds of peas, lettuce, mesclun, carrots, radishes, and some experimental pumpkins (might be too early for them, only time will tell.) Got them all in their tidy raised bed and watered them so that it could rain today. It is amazing to me just how dry the ground was – all that lovely snow melt is long gone.
I did cook up the first stalks of asparagus and they were delicious! I can see that we will be eating a lot of that over the next few weeks, the plants are throwing up stalks every day!
I also finished the endless scarf! I finally decided that when I block it, it will grow in length and enough is enough. 🙂 I have some of the beads and yarn left, so will likely make a small bracelet to match it.
and avoid working on the blue linen monster I strung beads for a blue, yellow and green collar style necklace – a modification of Laura Nelkin’s Butin Collar. Sounds hideous, no? I think it will look prettier than it sounds when it is knit up – nice and summery. I had three tubes of beads in those colors, in three different sizes, so I am adding many (like 130) size 11 beads to her pattern so I can put one between each cast on stitch. I hope it will make a nice, sparkly outer edge. If it works, I may be sorry I didn’t add more so I could the same on the bind off edge, but I think that would be a bit much. And as I always do now with the pattern I added enough beads to do one more row. I do this for the simple reason that I am LAZY. If I do the pattern as written, both the starting and ending tail are on the same end of the necklace, and I have to anchor a thread on the other end with which to sew the clasp. BUT if I add one more row, then I have a yarn tail at each end of the thing, and I can use them to sew on the clasp, which in turn means less end weaving. It took a bit of experimentation to string on the right number of beads in the right size, but I think I have it now. 🙂
The kids had a mouse last night. No clue where it came from, but I know where it wound up! They both were acting like something odd was going on when we went to bed, but they sometimes go gaga over a fly, and we hadn’t seen anything running around, so I ignored it. Until 4:30 when the light was snapped on and A was moving books off the bookcase in our room. “Whaaa?” “I think they have a mouse” Sure enough, they did, and she caught it in a margarine tub. It is outside now, the cats are sleeping it off. I guess they played with the poor thing ALL NIGHT. I hate that they are so mean to a creature, I wish they would just go ahead and kill the thing. But at least they have remembered that they should be hunting. Now if they would just get the giant creature that runs through the soffits and into the bathroom ceiling.
Today we are doing fun things like going to the dump and grocery store – but we also are going out to breakfast, and then I hope, to the hardware store. I need some dirt, tomato plants, and they had a nice little trellis that might be just the thing for some sweet peas, and they carry fabric dyes which I want to check too. See if I can make a nice fuchsia that doesn’t smell like root vegetables. 🙂 But I bet when I get there and start reading labels I change my mind and come home and see what I can do with Kool Aid and food coloring.
Since A is going golfing (it is supposed to stop raining shortly) I might just stink up the house with dyes and wet wool. then I will go outside and work in the yard so I don’t have to smell it either. 🙂