I realize I haven’t written much about what I am making lately, outside of the CAL blanket. That is because almost everything seems to be at a standstill. The lace weight linen stitch scarf has many more rows worked on it, but seems to grow no longer, and there is still plenty of yarn left. Not sure how that happens, I had THREE meetings yesterday and knit through them all. No noticeable change. I suppose all of a sudden one day it will be done, but that day isn’t today.
Skirts: Well, I have two ready to be hemmed, and one cut out and pinned to be sewn. But the hem marker tool I ordered did not work. I was oh so frustrated! I filled it with chalk, set the height, squeezed the bulb, nothing. Well, maybe it needs to be primed? I squeezed and squeezed, and nothing. I took both hands and gave it a good, solid squeeze and the chalk container popped open and I had chalk everywhere except on the skirt. I remembered reading in the reviews that some people had real trouble with it, and others loved it, so I thought, OK, it’s me. I called the company (Nancy’s Notions) and asked for help. They immediately got me to a product support person, who tried to help, and gave me some suggestions. I tried for another hour, spilling chalk dust every where. I finally gave up. I emailed the company (by then they were closed for the weekend) and asked them to please help me find a solution. I did not just want a replacement if the problem is with the product, or me. I just want to know how to use it. To their great credit, they promised to try one and make sure it worked before shipping it, and they shipped one out already! I can’t wait to get it and see if it is different. I will return the original one Saturday when I can get to the PO. It seemed to me from my exhaustive study of the thing, that there needs to be a connection between the chalk container and the vent it is all supposed to blow out that just isn’t there. Has anyone else had any experience with the Dritz chalk hem marker? Can you tell me what I am doing wrong, or is this just a manufacturing error?
Anyway, there sit my three summer skirts. 😦 If only I were a nice slim thing whose hips, buttocks, and stomach all pulled up the same amount of fabric so I could hem straight across and have it hang evenly. But I am not.
Last thing I am working on, which actually IS adding up, is a pile of crocheted purple beanies for babies. I am sending them off to a group down in Bath (Maine). I see one of the women involved in it at meetings every few months, so she sees me knitting away at hats (I did say meeting, right?), and asked if I ever made baby hats. She told me about this project they do to make purple hats for newborns, to help parents get through the first few weeks of having a newborn (purple crying time?) when a baby can just cry for long periods of time for no apparent reason. Being an auntie, I have no experience with this, but can see how it might drive you mad. I said I would make her some hats and blithely bought two skeins of acrylic baby yarn. I followed a beanie pattern I found on UK Crochet pattern’s blog and figured I would make as many as I could from the yarn. Well, it seems I can make a lot of new-born sized beanies from 2 skeins!!! I think I am up to 10 or 12, and still have more yarn. I have begun adapting the pattern a bit to keep from getting bored going around and around, using a shell stitch for the last row, or changing out the increases. I’ll try to remember to take a photo of the pile before I send them out. It is looking like a pretty impressive stack right now!
That’s it. I am always working in purple, and will be glad for a change, much as I like purple, it has been going on too long. And I have some heavenly silks in blue and red waiting for me to make scarves. And a book on toe up socks to try out. And the bulky red sweater I ripped out last winter. And a periwinkle bulky vest. So I hope I finish these purple things VERY soon.