Several days ago, I was nominated for a Sunshine Award, from TamrahJo at the Good, Bad and Ludicrous (http://ballybin.wordpress.com) She nominated me because I brighten her day – which feels very nice indeed!
Then, before I could respond to that, Claire at Mollie and Claire (http://mollieandclaire.wordpress.com) nominated me for my second Liebster award. The Liebster Award is given by bloggers, to bloggers, and it’s purpose is to highlight blogs with under 200 followers that deserve a look.
Bounteous riches indeed! But so many questions, so many posts to complete. As a result, I am about to cheat, in the name of efficiency. (No, NOT laziness!)
I’ll be combining the requisite post into one, and just nominate one list of blogs to be joint winners. That way, the winner can choose which (or both!) award they want to accept.
The Sunshine Award rules – answer the questions (below) and nominate 13 blogs which do the same for me.
The Liebster Award rules:
1. Post eleven facts about myself
2. Answer the questions given to me by the person who nominated me
3. Invent eleven questions to ask people whom I wish to nominate for the award
4. Choose eleven people (with fewer than 200 followers) to give this award to and link to them in my post.
5. Go to their blog and tell them
Favorite Color: Blue
Favorite Animal: it’s a tie – cats and dogs. I was raised with dogs, but as an adult have learned the pleasure of cats, especially as pets for people who work long strange hours!
Favorite Number: 9
Non-Alcoholic Drink: lemonade
alcoholic Drink: none, thanks
Facebook or Twitter: Facebook, I guess, as I don’t tweet, but I much prefer WordPress.
Passions: buying locally – either locally produced items, or at the least, items from a locally owned business. Crafts of any kind.
Giving or Receiving: they both have their wonderful moments. Giving or receiving the perfect gift, chosen with care for the recipient by the giver, is a great feeling.
Favorite City: Don’t really like them, thanks! But if I had to choose from the whole wide world, I guess it would be a toss-up between Salzburg Austria, Edinburgh Scotland, and Portland Maine (USA). To me they all share a feeling of being interesting, with great shopping and great food (well, perhaps not Edinburgh on that last) and not being overwhelming or scary, but rather fun and interesting. They all have their own personality, and it is not overwhelming to this introverted country girl.
Favorite TV show: Probably NCIS… but there are others I also like… recently discovered Downton Abbey, and am enjoying getting caught up on it.
Liebster award facts:
1 I have a new job at the same old place and I think I am going to like it
2 if you read here, you know this one – I got married on Sunday!! woo hoo!
3 Sunday I went from having 5 nieces and a nephew to having 6 nieces, 4 nephews, a great niece and three great nephews – ranging in age from 6 to 43. And they are all beautiful/handsome and of above average intelligence
4 I hate vacuuming which is why you will so rarely see it on my Friday list
5 I like doing the dishes
6 love anything to do in or on the water, except, of course, drowning.
7 love my cats!
8 I’m an optimist – I buy lottery tickets every week.
9 Love handcrafts of all sorts, and hope to learn to tat someday
10 and to weave
11 and to spin
Libster award questions:
1. What is your favourite time of the day and why? Morning, because everything is fresh and new and I am rested.
2. When do you write your blog posts? I try to always do my Friday list Thursday night or Friday morning, but the rest of the posts are somewhat random – when I have time or something is niggling at my brain. Probably most of those are written in the evening or on Sunday.
3. How important is your blog to you? Hmmm. I would say it is of medium importance. I try to do a good job posting and remembering to take photos, but I don’t obsess about it – as evidenced by a lack of posts in recent days! But I have to confess, I love checking my stats and seeing where everyone is. Amazingly, I have lots of readers in the UK. I wonder how that happened.
4. Where have you been that you would really recommend people to visit? Hmmm…. lots of places, but I would have to preface this with these people should be introverts who like a nice quiet time. And a boat ride. 🙂 I loved the Isles of Skye and Mull in Scotland, Block Island (Rhode Island, USA) is near and dear to my heart, and my recent island love is Monhegan (Maine, USA) These places are beautiful, wild places with real people living there.
5. Champagne or Cider? Cider, of the non-alcoholic kind
6. What is the best gig you’ve ever been to? Every time I see Cheryl Wheeler live is the best gig yet.
7. Recycling or Upcycling? I like upcycling, but in practice, I more often recycle.
8. Who is your favourite knitwear designer? Oh heavens. Not sure I know them well enough to be able to answer this. I like items that are a challenge to my skills, like Estonian Lace (I have Nancy Bush’s book on the subject) but I also like simple patterns that I can alter easily to make them unique. There is an old Candide neck down sweater pattern that I have surely made over a dozen times, no two alike. So no particular designer, I guess.
9. What is your favourite yarn? oh, easy – I have 2 – any good silk/alpaca lace weight yarn. I drool over the colors of this that Pine Star Studio does (www.pinestarstudio.com). But I also dearly love Lamb’s Pride from Brown Sheep in Mitchell Nebraska for its smooth hand and warm fabric.
10. If you had to recommend an unusual yarn to yarn fans, what would you chose and why? Unusual??? Not sure I have ever used any that are. I would recommend any locally grown, spun, dyed yarn that is available to you, because I think it is important to support small local businesses where ever you are, to help keep your community vibrant.
11. If you could do anything right now, what would it be? It would be to stop the rain that is pouring down on us for the 5th day in a row, and then, when the sun was shining and things had dried off, I would hop in a sail boat with my wife, and head out to explore the coast of New England and the Canadian Maritimes. The weather would remain perfect, with steady breezes and sunshine.
Claire, these were good questions!
My 11 questions to nominees are:
1 in one sentence, why do you blog?
2 favorite childhood memory?
3 who or what inspires you in your life?
4 Chocolate or vanilla?
5 favorite season?
6 coffee or tea?
7 best vacation spot ever?
8 what do you want to be remembered for?
9 what made your best boss ever your best boss?
10 preferred way to spend a Sunday afternoon?
11 If you won a million, what would you do differently?
Choosing the blogs to feature is easier said than done, as I read lots of blogs, and enjoy them all (or I wouldn’t read them!) In April, I was the recipient of a first Liebster award, and named 11 blogs that I follow. I will try not to repeat any (well, with one exception), but do not want the 11 previously mentioned to feel slighted, I still like them very much and read everything that they post. Without further ado, then here are 13 blogs that brighten my day and are worthy of a visit (not in order!):
1 http://www.shemakeshats.com – Robyn is the one that started it all for me – blogging, knitting hats to keep and give away, minimalism. Worth checking out!
2 http://www.abeachcottage.com – love the beach vibe
and these from word press:
3 all night knits (allnightknitter.wordpress.com)
4 feel good knitting (feelgoodknitting.wordpress.com)
5 introverted knitter (introvertedknitter.wordpress.com)
6 pans and needles (pansneedles.com)
7 homemade sarcasm (homemadesarcasm.wordpress.com)
8 harsh reality (aopinionatedman.com)
9 stitch and purl (stitchandpurl.wordpress.com)
10 retire for the fun of it (retireforthefnofit.com)
11 the messiest hall (silviaesleater.com)
12 leaf and twig (leafandtwig.wordpress.com) this one is definitely sunshine as it has thousands of followers. But I love the simple posts
13 a repeat worth mentioning because she is so amazing – Jordana at my meandering trail (www.mymeanderingtrail.com) She set a major life goal, took the steps to make it happen and is even as I type is out thru-hiking the Appalachian trail – WOW! And of course, she has over 1000 followers, so again, Sunshine here, not Liebster.
I confess I have not notified them all, but I am working on it. I can’t access all blogs when at home – go figure! So some will have to wait until I return to work next week. I’ll stay late just to notify!
So there you have it – awards accepted and passed on. Thank you, TamrahJo and Claire!