In the Midst of a Really Nice, LONG Weekend   Leave a comment

boxes and drawers awaiting trim and beadboard fronts

A “posing” happily… which changed when I said it was going on my blog!

this geranium is at least 20 years old, and still blooms happily for me after a summer on the deck

With no frost this fall, the morning glories are able to go to town – best year ever for them, although that isn’t saying much as I never had ANY luck with them before.


cheerful marigolds look lush this year


Autumn colors surround the front deck

That list from Friday?  Well, I didn’t do too badly.  It didn’t actually get sunny out until after lunch, so in the a.m., I did the errands – PO, grocery store, hardware store.  Then I did some more draining of the pool, but not all.  I did, however, cover it so that no more leaves and water will go in.  I think this will be a long process.  I wonder what will happen if I never actually get it done and in the cellar?  Will that make next spring harder or easier?

I DID get the plants from the deck all cleaned up, re-potted where necessary, and into the house.  That was a lot of work, a lot of heavy lifting and carrying.  And Allie Cat followed my every move, watching from inside the living room door.

I carted a wagon load of chairs, empty pots, and general summer flotsam down to the cellar and got it put away.  I also attacked the railing on the deck off the bedroom – got the two pieces that were ready in place and attached.  Then I cut the final piece, and was going to stain it, but realized it was too wet.  So that sits in our nice dry cellar, and should be good to stain tonight or tomorrow.  Or next week…although I would like to get it complete before it gets much colder.  After all, it has been a year in the making!

I set the cedar planter.  Now to fill it with dirt.  I used all that we had (6 bags) and it didn’t make a dent, so I ordered as many as they can get their hands on at EBS.  We will see how many that is.  I got a bale of peat moss to mix in as well, so that should help with some good bulk. I was busy busy busy, and by the end of the day, I was exhausted.  Did I mention I also did laundry and cleaned the bathroom?  No? Well I did.

I was outside wrapping up things when I realized it was 4:55, and if I wanted to catch A before she left work, I should hurry.  So, I called and told her we were going out to dinner, I didn’t care where, but I wasn’t in a mood to think about dinner.  She took it amazingly well (as I suspected she would, since weigh in was done for the week).  We went to the Angler is Searsport – had wonderful food, which of course, I am still eating, and will be for a few more days.  I even got bread pudding, which I love.  It has been my treat ever since, and I think I have one more serving left. I can’t worry about the calories that come when we eat out, when the whole meal comes home and lasts me three or four days.  That is the wonderful part about the gastric by-pass.  You really can just have a taste of something and be satisfied.

I also took lots of photos throughout the day – the colors of things seemed so vibrant in the cool foggy morning, I couldn’t resist.  How nice that digital is free – and instant.  I can see that nothing came out as I thought it would right away, instead of waiting for film – and paying for it, too!

Anyway, that was my Friday!  Full of work.  Saturday wasn’t much different – but it was different kind of work. A and I went for a longer than usual walk in the morning – after we stayed in bed reading later than normal.  I went to the hardware store, etc in the morning, and to the book store – had to get the book club reads for next month, and they had the next several months in stock, so I got a whole pile of books.  Is there anything more delicious for a rainy weekend?

Trouble is, it never rained. So I kept puttering away.  Got the guest room ready for next week’s company, cooked a chicken for supper for A, and made chicken soup for the freezer. Did more laundry. Helped A in the workshop – she is really ALMOST FINISHED with the bed.  I know I keep saying that, but really, she is so close!  How close?  Well, it consists of three boxes, each with two drawers.  She has one box and drawers completely done and ready for me to paint.  She has the second box done and just needs to give it the final sanding.  The third box is all done except for the trim and beadboard drawer front.  Since she will be left alone all day next saturday while I am at Husson doing parent weekend things with L and the girls, I think she will finish her part of that box as well.  I will try to get the finished ones painted this week, so that we can move them into place next weekend, while we have young, strong backs here to help move them around upstairs.  I even remembered to take photos.

One funny thing – remember how I said Allie Cat supervised me all day Friday?  Well, we did not see a sign of her on Friday night or Saturday – she was passed out all evening, and then went upstairs to snuggle on the futon, where she stayed ALL day Saturday.  I told you I walked a lot.  And for a little 7 month old kitten to walk the same without her usual midday naps was pretty exhausting, apparently.  She was more alert today, and ready to play “hockey” in the kitchen this morning with her ice-cube.

Tomorrow is sailing – for real!  It is supposed to be cold but clear.  Can’t wait to get out on the ocean.  I know it will be months before we can do it again.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

Alice In Stitching Land

random posts about things I am doing or thinking

Knitting in the Midwest

A blog about knitting, cross stitching, and life in the Midwest

The Frog Queen's Fiber Journey

Knitting, Spinning, Weaving

Marja.9105 Arctic

stories about life in the north

Adventures in Remodeling

Misdirected remodeling

Meredith and Robby Hike the AT

A mother, father and daughter all blog about the big hike.

2017 Appalachian Hike

Only those who attempt to go too far will discover how far they can go.

Of Sticks and String

Knitting From My Corner of the World: South Jersey and Philadelphia Knits


handwork, writing, life, music, books

21st Century Spinning

Exploring a new age of an ancient skill


Knitting, photography and cats.

The ways of the whorl

wherever the spinning takes me

Mewkittie Creations

Wearable art and other interesting things.....


Textile & Pixel Design


random posts about things I am doing or thinking


sewing, knitting and life

ericka eckles

handsewn bespoke and heirloom quality textiles


My Rabbit Hole of Fibre Experimentation.

A Little More Abstract

Crafting For Those Dedicated to Experimentation

Knitting in New Guinea

A Linguist Takes on Life, Faith, and Cross-Cultural Living

%d bloggers like this: