I finished them today, and installed them. They are not perfect, but they already make a huge difference in how finished the room feels. And I think, if we get another sunny day, they will make a difference in the light up there, and how hot the room gets in the afternoon. Maybe they will help with the winter heat, but there are enough gaps around them that I am not holding my breath on that one.
I followed instructions in an old Laura Ashley home dec book I have – they are a little more ruffly than I would choose – if I were making them again, I think I would spread the pleats farther apart. I did a bit more than the book said, but I think more could even be better. I also made an alteration based on my experience with some purchased shades we have – the pleats hang down over the bottom of the shade, and so, since we leave them up almost all the time, there is a wide faded strip of fabric when we lower them. These will not have that problem as I left 5-6 inches below the batten, so when they are fully open, the pleats don’t fall below the bottom of the shade.
Now I have to go up to the craft room again – this time to install the curtain on the little window (that has been made up for months, but I have not been able to get to it to hang it!) and then prep area for new counter and customized sewing area! Woo hoo!